TOBACCO LICENSE NYC
The tobacco industry, along with the liquor industry is one that is strongly looked upon to have to license. There are strict measures taken for any company that starts up a tobacco-related business. Whether you are selling cigarettes or tobacco, you need to have a license, or there could be dire consequences such as you could be penalized by the state government.
BUSINESS LICENSING SERVICES
- Food Stamps
- Tobacco License
- Liquor License
- Lotto License
There are certain conditions that you need to fall into that are a pre-requisite for being able to get a tobacco license in NYC. Those conditions are:
AVAILABILITY OF LICENSING IN YOUR DISTRICT:
- Certain districts allow licensing of districts and some that do not.
- You need to know if your shop is present in the areas that do allow it.
- Our firm can help you in this area as we are well versed in the laws and any updates in them as well.
A LICENSED BUSINESS IS SOLD:
- When a previously licensed tobacco business is sold, then, the new owners must get a new license.
- This is necessary, as there will be new details of the owners.
- A new license needs to be made even if certain shares of the company are sold.
- This is because there are new owners added to the previous list of owners.
- If you do not renew your license, then you could face foreclosure or heavy penalties.
- It is crucial to get a new license or at least apply for within 30 days of the sale.
YOUR TOBACCO SHOP IS PRESENT IN NON-DISTRICT AREAS:
Some areas such as an airport are not present in a district so then you are allowed to get a license as well.
There are 3 types of licenses available in the category of tobacco and cigarette licensing; those are:
TOBACCO RETAIL DEALER LICENSE NYC:
- If you want to open a retailer shop in New York City, you need to have this license.
- You need to assess if you fall under the above-mentioned categories or not.
- If you do, then you can apply for a tobacco retailer license.
- This license is also for tobacco-related things such as electronic cigarettes, cigarettes, cigars, shisha, etc.
CIGARETTE RETAIL DEALER LICENSE NYC:
- This is specifically for those businesses that want to sell cigarettes.
- Although the process of getting a cigarette license is the same as the one for tobacco.
- However, you need to specify in your application that you will also be selling cigarettes.
WHOLESALE TOBACCO LICENSE NYC:
- For getting a license to sell tobacco items other than cigarettes, you need this license.
- If you also own a vending machine for tobacco-related items, you still need this license to legalize your business.
SOME IMPORTANT POINTS TO KNOW BEFORE APPLYING FOR A LICENSE:
- The cost of getting a license falls in the range of $150 or $200.
- This is based on the tobacco-related product that you will sell.
- It needs to be paid at the time of submission of the application.
- Your application for tobacco and its related products’ licensing takes about 2 weeks.
- The state agency looks into the credentials and documents that you have provided and then decided whether or not to license your business.
WHAT IS THE COST TO GET THE LICENSE RENEWED?
- The cost for a renewal is $200.
- It needs to be paid upfront while submitting your application.
- This is a biennial system (this will be explained in point 2)
AFTER WHAT TIME WOULD YOU NEED TO RENEW YOUR LICENSE?
- The license for a tobacco business is valid for 2 years.
- It is a biennial cycle, which means that after every two years, you need to renew it by filling out the application and paying the fees.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR A TOBACCO LICENSE?
The following list can serve as a checklist as we have mentioned all the required items on it:
- Basic License Application: This is needed to show proof that you have applied for the licensing process.
- Proof of Business Location: This needs to be shown so that the concerned authorities can check out the address and ensure that it is an area where tobacco retail dealer licensing is available or not.
- Proof of home Address: This is a must in almost all applications. It proves where you live to increase the credibility of the business owners.
- License Fee: This is either $150 or $200. $200 for renewal of a license specifically. Your application will not be reviewed without it.
- Tobacco Retail Dealer Cap Exception Certificate: This is for the dealers present in the above-specified locations. It ensures that they are in an area where the selling of tobacco products is allowed.
- Document from New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Registration of Retail Dealers and Vending Machines for Sales of Cigarettes and Tobacco Products: This proves that you have registered with the state department and adds to the credibility of your business.
- Proof of warehouse: This is needed if you want to get the license for wholesale distribution of tobacco.
- Personal Questionnaire: You need to fill out this questionnaire if you want to apply for the tobacco wholesale licensing. It is available on the website and can be downloaded from there.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION?
- You need to fill out the forms mentioned above and take the supporting documents along with you.
- You need to pay the fees.
- You need to be at the DCA licensing center in person, in the specified times that are written on the official website.
- Only complete applications are entertained, so make sure you have everything.
WHERE ARE WE LOCATED?
We are located in the State of New York and provide licensing services to tobacco companies in New York City and its boroughs; Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.